Backup QuickBooks Online and Restore Your Data (the easy way)
It's no secret that Intuit is encouraging their users to switch from QuickBooks desktop to online. QuickBooks Online is accessible remotely, there are regular software updates, you can streamline your processes using 3rd party apps, and it makes it infinitely easier to manage multiple clients if you're an accountant or bookkeeper.
But the biggest hurdle that prevents people from switching to QuickBooks Online is not having a backup of their account in their own hands. For those who live in the cloud and have never used the desktop version, it includes two features which don't exist in the online version: 'create a local backup' and 'undo'.
Desktop users are used to running a backup at the end of the day or week (at least when they remember to do so). It gives you reassurance that you can restore your company file to a previous version if something goes wrong. But on QuickBooks Online, if you delete something, it's gone forever.
Wait- I thought QuickBooks Online was backed up because it's in the cloud. Are you telling me that it's not?
QuickBooks Online is backed up, but there's a caveat. Cloud services like QuickBooks spend a lot of time and money making sure that the millions of accounts on their platform are securely backed up. This is called a disaster recovery backup and it's only used to recover the entire platform after a disaster, such as a meteorite landing on their servers.
But if you accidentally delete something in your own account, you don't have access to Intuit's backup to recover the item. Even Intuit's support team can't help you because it's far too expensive to access a backup of 2.2 million accounts to recover a tiny piece of data.
So while Intuit has a backup to recover the entire QuickBooks Online platform after a disaster that affects every account in the server, you'll need access to your own backups in order to recover from a smaller disaster in your personal account.
So, how do I backup QuickBooks Online?
Luckily, you don't have to choose between the convenience of QuickBooks Online and the peace of mind of having a backup. Using the Rewind app, you can automate a continuous backup of your QuickBooks Online account in just 5 minutes and never have to think about it again. That is, until you need to restore the company file to the moment before it all went haywire.
Backup QuickBooks Online in 3 steps:
- 1. Head over to app.rewind.io and sign up (or install Rewind from the QuickBooks app store)
- 2. Link your QuickBooks Online account. If you're an accountant or bookkeeper, you can link as many client accounts as you need to your single Rewind account.
- 3. Your first backup will automatically begin and be done in a couple of minutes.
From now on, Rewind will backup any new changes made to the account in real time. This means you will never have to manually run a backup - it's happening automatically. On the right side (pictured below), you can see a detailed, chronological log of everything that changed in the linked accounts since their first backup.
How do I restore my QuickBooks Online backup?
Rewind gives you three ways to restore your backup:
1. Rewind a single item: Sometimes you want to undo just one change in your account, without losing all of the work that followed. In this case, search for the item you want to rewind, such as a transaction. Expand it to see all the previous versions of that item. Open the correct version and click "Rewind".
2. Rewind the entire account to a point in time: Maybe you imported a large dataset or your client made numerous changes to the account without consulting you. Whatever the reason, sometimes it's best to rewind the entire account to a previous point in time. Rewind by date and time is a feature that we're releasing in 2018.
3. Restore your backup to a new QuickBooks Online account: This is useful for when you or your client closes down their QuickBooks account but you need to store your data for 7-10 years in case of an audit. Since your Rewind account isn't tied to your QuickBooks subscription, the backup will remain in your Rewind Vault for as long as you need it. We will be releasing an update in 2018 to allow you to restore your backup to a new QuickBooks Online account.
What does Rewind for QuickBooks Online backup?
Rewind is integrated to QuickBooks Online using their API so we can backup everything that the API allows us to access. This includes transactions (bills, credit memos, deposits, estimates, invoices, journal entries, payments, purchases, etc.), lists (accounts, classes, customers, departments, employees, items, payment methods, etc.) and several other items (attachments, bugets, currencies, tax agencies, tax codes, tax rates, preferences).
Click here for a complete list of everything we backup.
At this time, the QuickBooks Online API does not grant permission to app developers to access the following data: Company Info, Entitlements, Exchange Rates, Payments API, and Payroll. We are constantly working to improve Rewind's functionality and as soon as it becomes possible, we will start to backup these items.
Invest 5 minutes now to save hours of work in the future
Whether it's a client mistake, a 3rd party app integration with a bug, a data import gone wrong, or a myriad other reasons, data disasters can happen to anyone without a warning. There’s no time like the present to make sure that when it happens to your QuickBooks Online accounts, you can quickly recover without having to redo hours of work.
And finally, you can get even your die-hard desktop clients to make the switch to QuickBooks Online.
I backup QuickBooks because clients aren’t accountants. @rewindio— Pam Brown Wilson (@PamBrownWilson) November 16, 2017